Ustrasana or Camel pose is very powerful Asna with lot of benefits. ‘Ustra’ means camel in Sanskrit. In the final posture, body looks like camel, so this pose is known as Ustrasana or Camel Pose.
Preparation for Ustrasana
1) Vajrasana is the starting posture. Sit on knees where soles of the feet are pressed against the buttock. Calves of the legs are flat on ground.
2) Spine and neck erect. ( Read More – Tadasana – The Balancing Pose)
3) keep palms on the lower back.
Buy On Amazon
by Pratap C. Singhal [Createspace Independent Pub]
Price: INR 3,133.00
Procedure for Ustrasana or Camel Pose
1) Come on your knees. Body erect and upright. Toes tuck to the ground.
2) Place your hands on the lower back. Fingers pointing downward.
3) Now begin to breathe in. Try to draw your shoulders back as you lift your chest.
4) Now exhale and come to back bend. Lift your chest further. Hands resting on the sole of the feet.
5) Stay in the posture for 15-20 second. Breathing through the chest to facilitate chest opening.
6) To come out of the pose,lift your hands and keep them on the front hip bones and guide them down as you lift your back while inhaling.
Read Other interesting post
Tips for Beginners
1) While coming down, try to bring one hand at a time to the sole of the feet.
2) If you still find it difficult, keep the hands on the back of the hips.
For higher benefit, this posture can be practiced closed eyes.
Benefits of Ustrasana Or Camel Pose
1) Open up the chest, heart, shoulders, belly and upper back. ( Read More – Apan Vayu Mudra for Heart Ailments)
2) Improves the lung capacity. Activate respiratory system. ( Read More – Ashtma Mudra, Bronchitis Mudra for relieving lung congestion)
2) Stretches the spine, back and thigh muscles. Bring flexibility to spine and neck.
3) Helps to improve the posture.
4) Energize body and mind.
5) Stimulate stomach organs
6) Stimulate thyroid gland.
7) Improve digestion.( Read More – How to improve digestion with Apan mudra?)
8) Extremely good for back pain.
9) Stimulate blood circulation to brain.
10) Reduces fat on the stomach,
Precautions for Ustrasana (camel) yoga pose
1) Those who have health problems related to knee, neck, lower back pain or with back injury should avoid this asna.
2) People with high or low blood pressure and migraine should avoid this asana.
3) Insomnia (Sleeping disorder) patient should avoid.
Over to you
Camel pose or Ustrasana is a very powerful pose. It provides ultimate health benefits if done correctly. I Would advise you to learn and practice this asna. Lets make our present and future more healthier and happier. Happy living.