Butterfly pose or Badhakonasana is one of the very important and easiest asna that you can include in your daily Yoga practice. Badha means bound or restrained, Kona means angle and asna means pose. This asna is named Badhakonasana becuase of the way it is carried out. In the final pose, both feet tucked close to groin, clapse tightly with the hands as these are tied together in a particular angle. English name for it is Buttefult pose. It took its name because of movement of legs during the posture,giving the resemblance of butterfly flapping its wings. Rarely this pose is also called as cobbler pose as it resembles the sitting position of a cobbler at work.
Steps and Benefits of Butterfly pose or Badhakonasana
1) Sit in Straight posture with spine erect and legs spread straight out.
2) Now bend your knees and bring your feet towards pelvis. Join your feet such that soles of your
feet should touch each other.
3) Now hold your feet tightly with your hands. You may place both of the hands underneath the feet for support.
4) Make an effort to bring the heels as close to the genitals as possible.
5) Start with taking a deep inhale and exhale. Press the thighs and knees downward towards the floor.
6) Make a gentle effort to keep pressing the lower part of your legs downwards.
7) Now start flapping both of the legs in up and down motion just like the wings of a butterfly.
8) Start slowly and gradually increase the speed. Keep breathing normally throughout.
9) You can increase speed and also fly higher and higher, as fast as you comfortably can.
10) Slow down while stopping . Take a deep inhale and as you exhale, bend forward while keeping the chin up and spine erect
. Press your elbows on the thighs or on the knees, pushing the knees and thighs towards the floor.
You shoul feel the stretch in the inner thighs and take long, deep breaths, relaxing the muscles more and more.
11) Take a deep inhale and bring the torso up.
12) As you exhale, gently release the posture. Straighten the legs out in front of you and relax.
Benefits of the Butterfly Pose or Badhakonasana
1) Butterfly pose provides a good stretch to the inner thighs, knees and groins, Hence it improves flexibility in the groin and hip region
2) It also Helps in intestine and bowel movement. It stimulates the reproductive and digestive organs.
3) It is a good relaxing posture since it removes fatigue from long hours of standing and walking
4) Offers relief from menstrual discomfort and menopause symptoms
5) Helps in smooth delivery if practiced regularly until late pregnancy
Contraindications of the Butterfly Pose / Patangasana
1) Avoid in case of groin or knee injury.
2) In case you are unable to sit directly on floor you can use props such as you keep a blanket under
the outer thighs for support.
3) If you have any lower-back disorders, do the posture only while keeping the spine erect. Avoid rounding up the spine by bending forward.