Matthieu Ricard is called the happiest man of the world. He is a scientist turned Buddhist Monk who decided to abandon his work as a molecular biologist and choose to transform his life through meditation.
He says “If you can learn how to ride a bike you can learn how to be happy.”
He has been given the title of world’s happiest man. Neuroscientist Richard Davidson hooked the monk up to 256 sensors as he meditated on compassion. And it was discovered that Ricard’s brain produced a level of gamma waves that are linked to consciousness, learning and memory, attentiveness. Something that has never reported earlier in scientific literature. And there is almost invisible levels of negative emotions. He has meditated for around more than 50 years. He can spend hours in meditation without getting bored.
As he says about meditation “Meditation is not just blissing out under a mango tree. It completely changes your brain and therefore changes what you are.”
So meditation has the power to change our brain impulses. It has power to completely transform your world. Today when we see more people depressed and sometime we also found ourself in distressing situation. And there is no way to come out from that situation. Then only mediation can help us to come out of that. So secret to be happy just takes 20 minutes per day. Spend 15 to 20 minutes daily in mediation and as Matthieu Ricard says ” Even 2 weeks later you can feel positive mental results.”
Life Lesson from the Happiest Man of the World
Here are some life lessons from the Happiest man of the World, Matthieu Ricard. And how Secret to be happy just takes 20 minutes per day?
1) We try to fix the outside so much, but our control of the outer world is limited, temporary, and often, illusory
Our main focus is outside. We want to earn more money, we want to live lavish life, a big house, a big car, great holiday trips and all. But we forget that there is something inside us that also need some attention. Outer world is limited and temporary. But inside of us will always remain the same for us. So the more important is to look inside and spend sometime in harmony with yourself.
2) We are very much like birds that have lived too long in a cage to which we return even when we get the chance to fly away. We have grown so accustomed to our faults that we can barely imagine what life would be like without them. The prospect of change makes us dizzy
We the human being are trapped in our self defined limits and we never make an effort to come out of it. Over the years we have learned to live with your faults and we are so reluctant of change in life.
3) I think what everyone should be doing, before it’s too late, is committing themselves to what they really want to do with their lives.
Find out the real purpose of your life. And do it before it gets too late. Focus on what you want to achieve in life at the place of being part of rat race.
4) The ultimate reason for meditating is to transform ourselves in order to be better able to transform the world.
Mediation is way that can lead us through. When you see people around you, either you will find them too confused or too focused on earning money. But that is not the goal of life. Real purpose of life is to be happy. And happiness is something that is missing the most out of our life. So the need of the hour is to find happiness. And mediation can play an important role here.
5) As long as a sense of self-importance rules your being, you will never know lasting peace. Come out of me factor and live the life beyond it.
Leave behind the selfish attitude to realize the real happiness in life. To get the ever lasting peace, one has to focus only on present and his self importance attitude should be changed.
6) The truth is that even if resentment is triggered by an external object, it is not located anywhere else but in our mind.
Everything has an impact on mind. So learn to control mind. And let is not be affected by factors that are triggered externally.
7) The humble person has nothing to lose and nothing to gain. If she is praised, she feels that it is humility, and not herself, that is being praised. If she is criticized, she feels that bringing her faults to light is a great favour. “Few people are wise enough to prefer useful criticism to treacherous praise,” wrote La Rochefoucauld, echoing the Tibetan sages who are pleased to recall that “the best teaching is that which unmasks our hidden faults.” Free of hope and fear alike, the humble person remains light-hearted.
Don’t let your inner peace affected by praise and criticism. If someone criticise you, take it as an opportunity to improve yourself.
8) If we transform our way of perceiving things, we transform the quality of our lives. It is this kind of transformation that is brought about by the form of mind training known as meditation.
Bring out a transformation within yourself. Transform your way of perceiving the things and it will transform your whole life. Choose to learnt the brain training. A technique which is used for brain training is meditation. Mediation can help mind to be at peace. It helps our brain to focus only on positive things and discard all the negativity. A way that leads to happiness and inner peace.
9) Meditation helps us to familiarize ourselves with a clear and accurate way of seeing things and to cultivate wholesome qualities that remain dormant within us unless we make an effort to draw them out.
Mediation helps us to connect with our inner self. And It helps us to see the hidden qualities in us and we can make an effort to cultivate those qualities.
10) In all of us is the design of the world, We have the ability to access and understand the universe.
To become other forms. It’s tea you drink now, in six hours it becomes you.
We are the creator of our own destiny. We have the ability to transform the things around us. We have all the power to access and understand the whole universe. But the thing that is missing and stopping us from reaching the new level is the inner connect. And self realization through mediation can help us here.
11) We do all kinds of things to remain beautiful yet we spend surprisingly little time taking care of what matters most: the way our mind functions
We do and buy all stuffs that makes us look beautiful. But we hardly spend any time to train our brain. Brain training is needed for proper functioning of brain. It is the brain that control all our emotion. If we learn the technique to control our brain functioning we can lead a happy life.
12) In the freshness of the present moment, past is gone, future is not yet born, and—if one remains in pure mindfulness and freedom—disturbing thoughts arise and go without leaving a trace. That is basic meditation
Learn the technique of basic mediation. Be in the present moment. Don’t dwell in the past and future. Be in the pure mindfulness and be aware of your goal in life.
13) While it may be difficult to change the world, it is always possible to change the way we look at it.
Change your prospect in life. Since it is difficult to change the world, but is always possible to transform the way we look at it.
Secret to be happy just takes 20 minutes per day
As per Matthieu Ricard, training the brain is the key to be happy. Just spend 15-20 minutes in meditation daily and results will be visible in 2 weeks. Just start with thinking positive thoughts for 10-15 minutes. It will give a feeling of happiness and then we move on to next thought. Ricard says that instead of that, concentrate on not to let your mind getting distracted and keep focussed on positive emotions for next slot of time. And if you practice it daily, over the time your will feel positive results. Your mind will stop feeling negative emotions over a period of time. And if your practice that for fifty years as Ricard has done, you can become the happiness pro as well.
Over to you
Happiness is a feeling that can be developed and retained with practice. We rarely need anything to be happy. As it is our mindset that forces us to assume that our happiness is bound to materialistic gain. We can always follow some technique to train our brain. And meditation is one such technique. Though it would seems impossible to spend 10 minutes in mediation initially. Because our mind tend to wander. But with practice we can learn the technique to concentrate on one point or thought. We can start with focussing our mind on positive thought. And over the time it will learn to focus only on positive emotions and will discard all negative emotions. Below are few posts that will help to learn the technique