Amla or Indian gooseberries are a vital source of vitamin C. These are available only in a particular season, generally in Dec and Jan only.These are considered extremely good for health. It is suggested to include these in your daily diet.
You can read about the benefits of the amazing at the below link.
Amla can be stored in various forms and it has good shelf life as well. Hence it is possible to have it whole year. There are different varieties of amla products available in the market. But homemade products are really different. Amla can be preserved in form of dried powder, Pickle, salted version and sweet candy version. Amla is a main ingredient in chawanprash . You can also read – How to make chawanprash at home? While making chawanprash, you can always customize it as per your need.
Today we will discuss how to make Amla candy at home. Amla candy is liked by all age groups especially by children. Parents are always worried about the health and immunity of children. Amla is a sure shot for enhancing the immunity. But due to its sour taste, it is not liked by kids. So Amla candy is a good option. You can also read – 8 Home remedies for common cold & cough
It can be eaten as a post meal digestive.So lets see how to prepare Amla candy?
Amla Candy with Mishri (Rock candy)
Here we will use Rock candy (sugar) or in Hindi, it is called as Mishri at the place of sugar. So this is even good for diabetic people. Sugar is not considered good for our health. You can also read below post to know more about the bad effects of Sugar and what are best alternatives for it.
You can opt for jaggery, honey and the more healthier option dates. These things can easily substitute sugar in almost all of the confectionery items such as cookies, candy, cakes, wafers, milk shakes etc.
There are good options available online to buy organic products
Now let us have a look on the ingredients and steps for preparing amla candy.
How to prepare amla candy?
1 kg Amla/Gooseberries
1 tablespoon cumin powder
200 gms Rock Candy or mishri
1 tbsp Cumin powder
2 tbsp Ginger juice
2 tbsp Lemon juice
Step by Step procedure to prepare Amla candy
1) wash the gooseberries or amla, let them dry and place them in a bowl.
2) Take a pressure cooker and fill water in the bottom ( 3-4 inches).
3) Place a rack in it to give some height to it and place the vessel with gooseberries. Please note that not to fill water in the vessel with the gooseberries. We have to steam cook the amla.
4) Now pressure cook the amla up to 2 whistles.
5) Remove the amla and let them cool down.
6) Once these are cooled, cut them into pieces and remove the seeds.
7) Now Crush the rock candy into a powder and put them into a bowl.
8) Grate a small piece of ginger (about 2-3 inches) and squeeze it to extract juice.
Also Read – How to prepare ginger tea?
9) Add cumin powder and ginger juice to the powdered rock candy and mix them well.
10) Now add the gooseberry pieces to it and mix well.
11) Transfer this to a pan or kadai and keep it on low to medium flame and mix it occasionally. You should stir them carefully and not to crush the pieces.
12) Cook it for 12-15 minutes until the mixture becomes sticky and sticks to the gooseberries.
13) Switch off the flame and add lemon juice to it and mix well.
14) Now remove them on a clean plate and let them dry in sun for 2-3 days until they are dried completely.
15 Store it in an air tight container.
You should not miss other interesting posts:
Over to You
Delicious Amla candy is ready. It can be preserved for several months. Take them after a meal or during the journey.These have extremely good health benefits.Try it yourself and share your experience in the comments below
Buy Amla candy online
If you don’t have time to prepare it at home then it is also good option to buy it online.