Yoga prevents disease. Yoga is a perfect way to be fit in today’s fast moving world. Nowadays people are suffering from various disease. These days, many people have diabetes problem. According to a recent study published, diabetics have become one of the widely spread disease. Why world is become so unhealthy.
Why so much suffering all around. It is said that lifestyle is one of the main reason behind it. Best way to counter the disease is to alter the current lifestyle and adopt a healthy style. Eat healthy and incorporate yoga in your day to day life. Yoga is a healthy way to be fit. Paschimottanasana prevents diabetes. It is one of the simplest asna that will help to get recovery from diabetes. Here is the step and benefits of this wonderful asna.
Meaning of Paschimottanasana
“Paschim” means your “back” and “Uttana” means “stretching“. In this asana, back is stretched form lower part.so It is called “Paschimottanasana”.
How to do Seated Forward Bend or Paschimottanasana?
1) Sit in Dandasna. Legs flat on the ground. Knees should not be bent. Hands to the side of the body. Sit straight with spine and neck erect.
2) Now Inhale and slowly raise hands to the horizontal plane. Turn palm upwards and continue inhaling and slowly raise the arms further till the point where arms are perpendicular to ground.
Read Other Interesting Posts:
3) Now turn palms inwards and stretch hands in upward direction to provide a complete stretch to the body. (As shown in first picture)
4) Now exhale and bend from lower back and come to a point where arms, head and back are in one line and horizontal to the ground.(As shown in second picture)
5) Exhale further and grasp your big toes with your thumb and index finger.
6) Elbows should be next to knees and head resting on the knees. Now drop your head to the knees. ( As shown in third image)
7) Maintain normal breathing and stay in the posture for 5- 10 seconds.
8) Then slowly inhale and raise your hands and head.
9) When hands reach the vertical position then start exhaling and drop hands to the side.
Buy On Amazon Store:
How many time this asna should be repeated?
Paschimottanasana can be repeated for three to four rounds.
Contradictions and Cautions
I have observed in my class that people are not able to stretch beyond a certain point. Sometime they may get cramps. So take a precautionary measure and stretch till the point you are comfortable initially. Your body will slowly gain the flexibility. Yoga is to relax, not to hurry. Let your body takes its own time.
Don’t get disappoint at the beginning. By practicing daily, everything become normal and you can perform asana in a proper way.
Benefits of Paschimottanasana
1) This asna stretches the lower back, hamstrings and hip joints.
2) Tone up the abdominal and pelvic organs. Intestines and gall bladder are smoothly pressed and stimulated while practicing Paschimottanasana. (Read More – Baddha konaasna)
3) Streches and tone up shoulders joints. (Read More – 10 Benefits of Setu Bandha asna or Bridge Pose)
4) Paschimottanasana provides a longitudinal stretch, hence spinal cord and spinal nerves are pulled during the practice of this asna. (Read – Tadasna – the balancing Pose)
5) Paschimottanasana Prevents diabetes.
6) Common ailments such as stomach pain, piles, headache, hip pain, back pain and body weakness are cured by doing this asana.
7) Helps in menstrual problems.
8) This asana tends to increase the concentration capacity.(Read More – Jnana Mudra for concentration)
This asna should be avoided in case of recent stomach surgery.
Over to you
Paschimottanasana or seated forward bend is a wonderful asna. Everyone should include this in their daily practice. Looking forward to hear your experiences about this asna in the comments below. Happy living.