Turmeric is one of the nature’s most powerful healers. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Turmeric has been used for over 2500 years in India. Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory & antibacterial properties.
It is an amazing herb and is beneficial in treatment of many health problem such as cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, skin problems, food poisoning, gallstones, diabetes, indigestion, parasites, poor blood circulation, and wounds.Turmeric is one of the nature’s most powerful healers. It is used as an antiseptic as well. it is highly beneficial in kapha doshas. You should also read about Surbhi Mudra that can balance out three dosha.
Turmeric is a wonder herb because It is..
Here are 27 Health Benefits of Turmeric
1. Turmeric is Antioxidant
Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants search the damaging particles in the body, these are known as free radicals.
2. Turmeric is Anti-Inflammatory
Turmeric reduces inflammation by lowering levels of two inflammatory enzymes in the body and stops platelets from clumping together to form blood clots.
3. Turmeric for Cough and Throat Infection
Turmeric with its antiseptic properties is a highly beneficial home remedy for chronic cough and throat infections.Half a teaspoon of fresh turmeric powder mixed in 30 ml of warm milk is very effective in these conditions. To prepare this, add turmeric to milk and boil over a slow fire.There is a hand mudra as well. Shankh mudra is very effective in throat infection.
Recommended Product to buy on Amazon :
4. Turmeric for Cold and Running nose
In case of a running cold, smoke from burning turmeric can be inhaled. This increases the discharge from the nose and brings quicker relief. Turmeric in combination with ajwain is very effective for cold in infants and children.A teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1/4th teaspoon of ajwain are added to boiling water which is then cooled. Mix it with honey to make it sweetened. Take 30 ml of this decoction twice daily for treating such conditions.You can read more about wonderful home remedies for cold,cough and flu here
5. Tumeric for Respiratory Disease
It is an effective home remedy for bronchial asthma.A teaspoon of turmeric powder taken with a glass of hot milk two times daily is very beneficial for respiratory disorders. It is highly beneficial when taken on empty stomach.
6. Turmeric as Intestinal Antiseptic
Turmeric is an effective intestinal antiseptic.It can be taken as powdered form or juice. It is highly effective for intestinal problem, when mixed in buttermilk or plain water, specifically for diarrhea. It also prevent flatulence.
7. Beneficial in Anaemia
Turmeric, being rich in iron is highly beneficial in anemia.A teaspoon of raw turmeric juice, mixed with honey can be taken every day for the treatment of this disease.
8. Turmeric is useful in the treatment of measles
Turmeric roots dried in the sun and ground to a fine powder, then mixed with a half spoon of honey and the juice of few bitter gourd leaves can be taken for curing measles.
9. Turmeric for sprains
Turmeric paste mixed with lime and salt can be applied with beneficial results in case of sprains or the swelling caused by sprains.
10. Turmeric for burns
An application of turmeric powder to burns speeds up the healing process.In case of fresh boils, roost a few dry roots of turmeric and the then dissolve the ashes in a cupful of water. Apply this all over the affected portion. This solution enables the boils to ripen and burst. Other effective remedy is to mix 1 tsp of turmeric with 1 tsp of Aloe Vera gel and apply to burnt area.
11. Turmeric for skin
The juice of raw turmeric is when externally applied to the affected parts, given quick relief in the skin disease like scabies and ringworm.It can be used after surgery to reduce pain, inflammation and speed up the healing process.Below are the remedies::
1. Turmeric juice, mixed with honey should be taken orally.
2. External application of turmeric paste is effective in reducing swelling and inflammation, rapid healing of wounds, and treating acne.
3. A paste made of turmeric and neem leaves is applied in affected areas to treat ringworm, itching, and eczema.
12. Turmeric is a blood purifier
The most common uses of turmeric is to purify the blood and remedy skin conditions.
13. Turmeric for Digestive Disorders
It can be added into foods to improve digestion, It reduces gas and bloating. This improves body’s ability to digest fats. Turmeric is recommended for chronic digestive weakness and congestion. It can be taken as alone or can be mixed with other digestive bitters. Turmeric is highly beneficial for people who feel tired after having meals or who experience gas and bloating.
14. Beneficial in Liver Diseases
Turmeric is known for its influence on the liver. Turmeric shares similar liver protecting compounds that milk and artichoke leaves contain. It is said to shrink engorged hepatic ducts, so it can be useful to treat liver conditions such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, and jaundice.
15. Turmeric is Effective in Cancer
Recent scientific studies have confirmed that turmeric can cure diseases causing cancerous cell. Turmeric control the growth of various types of cancer. Turmeric is used for the treatment of skin cancer or pre cancerous skin conditions. Both topical and internal uses are beneficial.
16. Beneficial in Atherosclerosis
Turmeric may helpful in preventing the blockage of arteries that can gradually cause a heart attack or stroke in one of two ways. Turmeric is effective in making cholesterol levels low and inhibited the oxidation of LDL (bad cholesterol). Oxidized LDL deposits in the walls of blood vessels and contributes to the formation of atherosclerosis plaque. Turmeric may also prevent platelet build up along the walls of an injured blood vessel. Platelets collecting at the site of a damaged blood vessel cause blood clots to form and blockage of the artery as well.
17. Effective in Osteoarthritis
Turmeric may help relieve the symptoms of osteoarthritis because of its ability to reduce pain and disability.
18. Menstrual problems of Woman
This is a highly effective remedy for this condition.Turmeric is an antispasmodic to smooth muscles such that it prevents digestive and menstrual cramping. It should atleast reduce the severity of pain, if not relieve them completely. Healthy diet and standard of living have a deep influence on the menstrual cycle, but turmeric is a great addition to them.For women who experience monthly menstrual cramps, take turmeric extract twice daily for two weeks prior to expected menstruation
19. Bacterial Infection / Wounds
Turmeric is useful as an external antibiotic in preventing bacterial infection in wounds.
20. Eye Disorder
Turmeric powder is beneficial in soreness of the eyes..Turmeric may prove to be as effective as corticosteroids in the uveitis (inflammation of the uvea, the middle layer of the eye between the sclera – white outer coat of the eye and the retina -the back of the eye) the type of eye disorder. Turmeric helps to maintain the shape and integrity of our eyes.
below is the remedy:
1. Boil about 6 grams of turmeric powder in half a liter of water till it is reduced to half. A few drops of this water (cooled completely) should be put in the affected eyes three or four times a day to get e relief from eye soreness.
2. Turmeric & water decoction, 1:20, is used to treat conjunctivitis and eye disease in general. Soak a cloth in the decoction and then cover the eye with it. This helps to relieve the pain as well.
Mix 1 tablespoon of crushed, raw turmeric in 1/3 cup of water. Boil and filter it out. 2–3 drops of this mixture may be used in each eye up to 3 times per day.
22. Healthier Skin and Great Complexion
Since very long time, turmeric has been used as a traditional medicine and for beauty care. It not only gives a golden glow to the skin but also keeps skin beautiful and healthy by reducing inflammation, smoothening and treating and preventing skin ailments like pimples rashes, acne, blackheads and blemishes. A wide range of creams, lotions, face packs are also including turmeric as an key ingredient. It is believed that regular turmeric use is said to make the skin fair, soft and smooth.
Apply a paste of turmeric on the skin before bed, keep it for some time and then wash off after 10-15 minutes. In the morning, remove any remaining yellow traces with a paste of besan and oil..You should also use these natural oils that helps to protect against harmful sun radiations but also nourishes the skin.
23. Dental Problems
The fluoride present in turmeric is essential for teeth. Take 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder with ½ tablespoon of salt and add mustard oil to make a fine paste. Rub the teeth and gums with this paste twice daily. This is very effective in reducing gum and tooth problems.Turmeric can be used in following ways offer relief from dental problems:
- Rinsing the mouth with turmeric water (boil 5 g of turmeric powder, two cloves, and two dried leaves of guava in 200 g water) gives instant relief. Take 5 g of turmeric powder, two cloves, and two dried leaves of guava with 250 ml of water. Simmer it for some time and use this mixture at room temperature to rinse the mouth.
- Massaging the aching teeth with roasted turmeric eliminates pain and swelling.
- Applying the powder of burnt turmeric pieces and bishop’s weed seed on teeth and cleaning them makes the gums and teeth strong.
Taking half to one spoon of turmeric can be effective in Diabetes.
Take ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder or juice in water, 3 times per day.
Take 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder and 2 tsp of grinded ginger with small quantity of water. Mix well to make a paste out of it. Spread it over a cloth, place on the affected area and tie it to keep it in touch with the skin tightly.Add 1 tsp of turmeric to 1 cup of warm milk and drink before bed.
25. Turmeric for Stomach and Intestines
Turmeric treats the whole Gastro – Intestinal system. In general turmeric is used for
• Weak stomachs – To normalize metabolism
• Poor digestion
• Dyspepsia -To help digest protein
• To increase the bio-availability of food and the ability of the stomach to withstand digestive acids.
26. Protect Cells Against Radiations
Turmeric is often recommended for protection of healthy cells from the harmful effects of radiation and chemotherapy, without reducing the effectiveness of these treatments.
27. Other Uses
Take a pinch of Turmeric and mix it with organic ghee and apply it to the mucus lining of nose to stop the sniffles. It also prevent nose bleeding, helps to clear the sinuses, restore a more acute sense of smell, and helps to purify the mind and brain.The leaves of turmeric are said to act as mosquito repellents.
Health Benefits of turmeric in our day to day life
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, and highly useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. Its combination with cauliflower has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevents breast cancer from spreading to the lungs.
4. May prevent tumor and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Turmeric is amazing for liver, since it Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
8. It has strong natural anti-inflammatory properties that works similar to anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
9. Most common use of turmeric is as a natural pain killer.
10. May help in fat metabolism and helpful in weight management.
11. May help in treatment of depression.
12. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
13. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
14. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
Over to you
After knowing so much medicinal properties of turmeric, I am sure you would start consuming it from today onwards. Turmeric is one of the main components of vegetable curry prepared. But you can also consume it as a pinch of it added to milk. It is proved now that it is big shot against cancer.