Cold is a very common occuring disease across the globe. There are number of factors responsible for developing cold. Here are some listed below.
- If you are working too hard, so it is your body’s way of telling to slow down
- Not getting enough sleep and rest.
- Not taking nutritious diet.
- Climate changes, body takes some time to adjust to the changes.
- It gets transmitted by infected airborne droplets or by direct contact with infected person.
- Approximately 200 different types of viruses are known to cause the common cold
- It is the most frequent occurring illness in wold.
- On an average, children can have 6 to 12 cold in one year and adult can have 2 to 4 occurrence in a year.
Above factors are responsible for immune system to work slowly and chances gets doubled to get infected by virus and climate changes.
QUICK TIP: If immune system is strong enough and if extra precautions are taken such as – enough rest, healthy diet & plenty of fluids, cold will go away on its own.
Here are 8 Home Remedies for Cold, Cough & Flu
Take Plenty of Fluid
Take plenty of fluids to help break down congestion. At least 8 to 10 glasses (approx 250ml each) of water should be taken daily. Drinking water will prevent dehydration. Proper hydration ensures the proper functioning of body and enhancing immunity to work more effectively against the cold or flu.
Ginger Herbal Tea
Boil Ginger, lemon and honey with one glass of water to prepare Ginger tea. Ginger is very effective to breakdown and expels mucus, lemon is rich in Vitamin C & honey is antibacterial & antiviral.
Wonderful Garlic Tea
A wonderful immunity enhancer, garlic is well- known for its antibacterial and antiviral benefits for fighting colds, coughs and flu. Honey can be mixed to make it sweetened. Take 2 to 3 cloves of fresh garlic and and add them to 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Filter out the garlic and let the tea cool to normal temperature. Add raw honey, a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Take twice daily. Reduce the quantity when cold and cough is reduced.
Recommended Product to buy on Amazon :
Raw Honey and Onion Syrup for Cough
This is a wonderful home remedy for cough for kids and adults.It can be prepared with raw honey, red onions and brown cane sugar. Take 1 medium size onion, peel and slice it horizontally.Place a layer of it in a bowl with alternate layer of honey.Continue adding layers of onion and honey until the entire onion is restructured in the bowl. Cover and let the sweetened onion to remain in the bowl for about 10-12 hours. Next day, it would have converted into a cup of sweet syrup in the container. This cough syrup is high in vitamins and nutrients and will be great to fight infections. Don’t worry, it will not carry any onion taste, so it is easy to take for kids as well. You can read more about the benefits of Honey here.
Great Mullein tea for relieving chest congestion
Mullein tea is known for easing chest congestion. Mullein tea can be prepared by putting dried mullein herb in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. Add raw honey and drink as desired to relieve congestion.
Intake of Warming food
It is important to take only warming foods & fluids. Cold or icy foods or fluids weaken the immune system and create a more terrible cough.
Take Fresh Citrus Fruits
There are rich in vitamin C and can boost immune system and help in preventing upper respiratory infection.Fresh-squeezed citrus juices like orange juice and grape juice are wonderful in recovering from a cold or flu. A must read post – We eat on time, but do we drink on time?
Below are wonderful fruits in cold and cough
Proper Rest & Sleep
Get enough rest and sleep. Cold and flu can be an outcome of fatigue. Proper rest and sleep will be effective in speedy recovery.
Inhaling steam is very effective in easing congestion and drippy/running nose.Take a steamy shower. Steam showers humidify nasal passages and provide relaxation
Salt Water Rinsing
Salt-water rinsing helps break nasal congestion while also removing infection causing agents from your nose.
Gargling can moisten a sore throat and bring temporary relief. Dissolve a half teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water and gargle four times daily. Astringent gargle is good to get relief from sore throat, such as tea that contains tannin to tighten the membranes. Use of a thick, viscous gargle made with honey is also very effective. Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice in two cups of hot water; mix with one teaspoon of honey. Let the mixture cool to room temperature before gargling.
What else can be done for fast recovery?
Tongue scraping is an ancient Ayurvedic tradition that is very helpful in preventing infections as well as eliminating bad breath. Gently scrape the back of your tongue using a tongue scraper. Be sure to sterilize between uses.
Netti potting can be helping in preventing sinus infections. However avoid using if you already have a sinus infection, as it can spread the bacteria around making feel worse.
Things to be avoided during cold, cough & flu
- Dairy, wheat and bananas can be mucus forming, so should be avoided.
- After taking sugar( with tea, coffee or sweets), immune system is compromised by 50% for up to 4 hours.Added sugar is not so sweet for your health.So reduce the intake of sugar as much as possible, atleast during illness.You can replace your sugar with jaggery.
- Limit cola, coffee, and other drinks with caffeine because it acts like a diuretic and may result in dehydration.You can always opt for Green tea which is loaded with antioxidant and can help you live longer.
- Don’t Keep going (allow your body to rest).
Common cold can be treated with simple home remedies and need not rush to doctor every time. But some time it becomes important to see a doctor, in case cold:
- accompanies fever.
- remains more than a week,
- associates with excessive mucus that can cause chunking nose & difficulty in breathing.
- move down to the chest
- advances into bronchitis
- flu-like symptoms are observed
So next time, rush to your kitchen to get quick relieve from cold and cough.
Recommended Product to buy on Amazon :