Trikonasana or Triangle Pose is a basic pose that in included in almost all of the yoga practices. ‘Trikona’ means Tringle and ‘Asana’ means pose. Hence English name for this Asana is Triangle Pose. Trikonasana or Triangle Pose is a good stretch for legs, ankles, knees, arms, shoulders, chest and neck. It also improves the overall body balance. In Triangle pose, eyes are kept open to maintain body balance
Recommended Product to buy on Amazon :
How to do the Trikonasana or Triangle Pose?
1) Start with the mountain Pose.
2) Separate your feet wide apart and stand in a comfortable position with perfect body balance.
3) Turn your right foot out 90 degree and left foot in by 15 degrees.
4) Ensure your feet are firmly on the ground and body weight is equally balanced on the both feet.
5) Inhale deeply and stretch your hands to the side till the shoulders height.
6) As you exhale, bend your body to the right, downward from the hip. Keeping your waist and knees straight. Left hand to be raised high to the ceiling. Right hand comes down towards the floor.
7) Let your right hand rest on your shin, ankle or on the floor outside your right foot, whatever is easy and comfortable for your without distorting the side of the waist. Stretch your left arm towards the ceiling, keeping in line with the top of your shoulders.
8) Turn your head up and fix your gaze on your left palm. Or you can also keep your head in neutral position.
9) Ensure your body is bent sideways and not backward or forward.
10) Breathe and hold for 3-6 breaths
11) Come up as you inhale. Arms returns to the side
12) Repeat the same on the other side.
1) Do not bend your knees.
2) Bending should be in downward direction and not in backward or forward direction.
Benefits of Trikonasana or Triangle Pose
1) It strengthens the arms, chest, legs, knees and ankles.
2) Stretches and opens up the groins, hamstrings, calves, chest, spine and shoulders.
3) Improves mental and physical equilibrium.
4) Helps improve digestion.
5) Reduces anxiety, stress & depression.
6) Helpful in back pain and sciatica.
Contraindications of Trikonasana or Triangle Pose
Person suffering from migraine, low or high blood pressure, diarrhea, neck or back injuries, should avoid the posture.
Over to you
Traingle pose is a basic pose and any body can start his yoga practice with this pose. Just to ensure to follow the key points. Bend in downward direction and not in forward or backward direction. Don’t over stretch your body. If you are unable to touch the ground with your hand, you can keep you hand on the shin or ankle . You should also read below interesting posts as well: