Holy basil (Tulsi) belongs to Mint family.The tulsi (holy Basil) is an important plant in the Hindu tradition. It can be seen grown outside temples and home and is worshiped in the morning and evening by Hindus at large.
Tulsi has rich healing properties. It is:
• Adaptogenic (anti-stress)
Below are the top health benefits of Tulsi (Holy Basil)
1)Tulsi has tremendous healing Power
• Basil(Tulsi) is a rich source of vitamin K,zinc, magnesium, calcium, potassium and dietary fiber.
• It exhibit antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, antioxidant and anti-cancer properties.
• Defends our body against chronic disease.
• For Centuries, Tulsi(Holy Basil) has been used in Ayurveda, for treatment of gastric, respiratory and inflammatory ailments and as medication for headache, fever, anxiety, nausea convulsions, hypertension, Stomach cramps and indigestion.
• The leaves are a amazing nerve tonic and enhances memory.
2)Tulsi helps in Fever Reduction
Tulsi tea is wonderful in some specific type of fever such as- during rainy season, when malaria and dengue fever are predominant disease, Tulsi tea is highly effective for preventing against these diseases.
Method to prepare Tulsi Tea:
• Take 8-10 leaves of Holy Tulsi, boil with powdered cardamom in half a liter of water.
• add sugar and milk.
• Drink at room temperature twice daily.
Tulsi Leave juice is very effective and can be used to bring down fever. Extract of tulsi leaves in fresh water should be given every 2 to 3 hours.
3) Cough Soothing
Recommended Product to buy on Amazon :
4) Sore Throat
Basil(Tulsi) leaves boiled with water is highly effective in easing sore throat.This mixture can also be used for gargling.
5) Health benefits of Tulsi for Respiratory Disorder
The herb is useful in the treatment of respiratory system disorder.
• A decoction of the tulsi leaves, with honey and ginger is an effective remedy for bronchitis, asthma,cough and cold.
• Oil prepared with tulsi and other herbs like black pepper, sindhav,dry ginger, pepper, drumstick seeds and bitter gourd can be put in the nostrils to ease breathing ailments.
Boil Tulsi leaves, cloves and common salt with half liter of water, let it simmer till half the water is left .Drink it twice daily. This provides immediate relief in case of influenza.
6) Soothing to bites, cuts, and scrapes
• A juice prepared by grinding 200-250 grams of tulsi leaves and boiled with an equal quantity of sesame seed oil creates an oil that can be applied on the skin to cure many skin diseases, including itching.
• A paste formed by the rubbing tulsi stem on stone when applied on cuts and wounds gives great relief
• Equal quantities of tulsi juice and coconut oil applied to burns, provide relief from pain.
• Tulsi is very effective in pain caused by chicken pox, measles, chicken and small pox.
7) Health benefits of Tulsi for reduces Inflammation & Swelling
Basil(Tulsi) extract reduces inflammation by inhibiting the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines and mediators (most likly nitric oxide).Turmeric can also be useful for inflammation. Read More about the health benefits of turmeric here.
8) Helps in Diabetes
Basil(Tulsi) essential oils have been shown to lower blood glucose, triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
9) Antioxidants and cure for cancer
Basil(Tulsi) is anti-bacterial and protects against pathogens, even those that have become resistant to antibiotics. Tulsi also guards against free radical damage, responsible for chronic disease like cancer. Protecting your cells and chromosomes from radiation damage. Anyone who uses a cell phone or computer is regularly exposed to radiation.
10) Increases Kidney function
Basil has strengthening effect on the kidney. In case of renal stone the juice of basil leaves and honey, if taken regularly for 6 months it will expel them via the urinary. tract.
11) Heart Disorder
It reduces the level of blood cholesterol and hence very beneficial in heart diseases.
• Tulsi helps to remove the toxins present in blood and purifies it.
• Tulsi leaf tea is very effective in controlling blood pressure.
• The eugenol – anti oxidant present in tulsi can help in reducing blood cholesterol levels and blood glucose levels, thereby reducing the risk of heart attacks.
You should also read – A healthy breakfast can prevent heart attack.
12) Pediatric Problems
Common pediatric problems like cough,cold, fever, diarrhea and vomiting respond favorably to the juice of basil leaves. If pustules of chickenpox delay their appearance, basil leaves taken with saffron will hasten them.
13) Relieves Stress
The tulsi plant is said to be an adaptogen. or anti-stress agent. Adaptogens essentially adapt to serve the body where it needs them most.Recent studies have shown that the leaves provide significant protection against stress. Even healthy persons can chew 12 leaves of basil, twice a day, to prevent stress.
• It purifies blood and helps prevent several common elements.
• Anti-oxidants in tulsi is effective in balancing different processes in the body.
• Drinking tulsi extract juice or chewing 8-10 tulsi leaves daily soothes the nervous system and helps to reduce stress caused by routine happenings of our life.
Must Read Post – How meditation can help us to return to the state of peaceful mind.
14) Ulcer & Mouth Infections
Tulsi leaves are a very effective home remedy for the ulcer and infections in the mouth. A few leaves chewed will cure these conditions.
15) Insect Bites
The herb is preventive and curative for insect stings or bites. A teaspoonful of the juice of the leaves is taken and is repeated after a few hours. Fresh juice must also be applied to the affected parts. A paste of fresh roots is also effective in case of insects bite.
16) Skin Disorders
Applied locally, basil juice is beneficial in the treatment of ringworm and other skin diseases. It has also been tried successfully by some naturopaths in the treatment of leucoderma. You should also know about these natural oils that can help not only to protect against sun radiation but also nourishes the skin.
17) Teeth Disorder
The herb is useful in teeth disorders.
• Tulsi leaves, dried in the sun and powdered, can be used for brushing teeth.
•It can also be mixed with mustered oil to make a paste and used as toothpaste. This is very good for maintaining dental health, counteracting bad breath and for massaging the gums.
• It is also useful in pyorrhea and other teeth disorders.
18) Headaches Remedy
Basil is an effective home remedy for headache. It has cooling effect on body.
• decoction of tulsi leaves can be given for this disorder.
• Paste of Basil leaves and sandalwood can also be applied on the forehead for getting relief from headache, and heat, since it has the cooling property.
19) Eye Disorders
Basil juice is an effective remedy for sore eyes and night-blindness, which is generally caused by deficiency of vitamin A. Two drops of black basil juice should be put into the eyes daily at bedtime.
20) Clearing acne
Holy basil is suitable for skin care treatment of acne.
• Basil leaves taken daily purifies blood and stop appearance of pimples and acne.
• Paste of basil leaves, sandalwood and rose water, when applied on skin daily help preventing acne and also reduces scars.
21) Heals Neuropathy
It has been observed that holy basil extract reduced the effects of nerve degeneration, helps to make nerve receptors more sensitive to stimuli, and aids in recovery after the surgery.
22) Balances emotional health
Tulsi is an effective stress buster.Hence helpful in balancing emotional health.
23) Detoxify Blood
Tulsi has great detoxification properties. Juice extracted from its leaves or leaves taken directly in the morning can do wonder.
24) Cure digestive system
Chewing Tulsi leaves along with cardamom is very effective to stop vomiting and to aid digestion. 20 grams of tulsi juice taken with crystal sugar, a pinch of powdered cardamom and pinch of powdered cloves is helpful in curbing vomiting.1 teaspoon of tulsi juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of ginger juice, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of honey can be taken before meals to boost appetite. 25 grams of tulsi leaves juice mixed with drumstick leaves and sindhav salt can help cure digestion.
Over to you
Health benefits of Tulsi are countless. Just chew few leaves in the morning and keep away from disease. Share your experiences, if you have utilised the medicinal properties of tulsi. I am sure, you have. It is such a wonder plant.
Recommended Product to buy on Amazon :