Setu Bandha Asna is one of the asna with multiple benefits that should be included in daily practice of Yoga. This asna is extremely good for back.
Meaning of Setu Bandha Asna
Setu means Bridge, bandha is lock and asna is pose. So Setu Bandha asna is the Bridge pose. Body resembles a bridge in the final posture.
Step by Step Procedure for Setu Bandha Asna or Bridge Pose
1) Lie down on you back, hands to the side of the body, palms in the downward direction.
2) In the next step, fold your knees and place them flat on the ground close to buttocks.
3) Inhale and slowly lift your lower back, then middle back and finally upper back off the ground. Gently touch the chest to the chin without bringing chin down.
4) Body weight should be supported with the shoulders, arms and feet.
5) Bottom should be firmly up in the final pose. Both thighs should be parallel to each other and to the floor as well.
6) You can support your back with the help of your palms or you can hold your ankles with your hands.
7) Maintain Normal breathing in the final posture. Be in the pose for around 1 minute and then gently release the posture and bring your back slowly to the ground.
by Olivia Summers [Success Life Publishing]
Price: INR 273.00
by Swami Satyananda Saraswati [Yoga Publications Trust]
Price: INR 280.00
Pay attention to your alignment. Thighs should be parallel to the floor and to each other. Don’t allow your knees to spread wide.
10 benefits of Setu Bandha Asna or Bridge Pose
1) Provides instant relief to the tired back. Highly effective after long sitting. (Read – Back Mudra is effective in relieving back pain)
2) Provides relief from stiffness in the back. Also strengthens the back muscles
3) Setu Bandha asna is a good stretch for spine, neck and chest muscles.
4) Good for calming down the mind. Reduces stress, anxiety and depression.
5) Open up the lungs. (Read – Detoxification Mudra to get rid of toxins)
6) Helpful in thyroid problems.
7) Good for digestive system (Read – Apan Mudra for digestion)
8) Helpful in menopause and menstrual pain
9) Effective in health problems such as asthma, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, and sinusitis
Also Read: Apan Vayu Mudra for Heart Problems
10) This Asna also strengthen knees, legs and thigh muscles. (Also Read : Baddha Kona Asna for knee strengthening)
Avoid this posture in case of neck or back injuries.
Upward Facing Dog Pose or Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana
Hero Pose or Virasana
Wheel Pose or Urdhva Dhanurasana
Shoulder stand or Salamba Sarvangasana
Over to You
Setu Bandha Asna is extremely beneficial for the people who work long hour while sitting in office. So if your job makes you to sit longer, make this asna as your daily practice to avoid future complications.
by Robin Sharma [Jaico Publishing House]
Price: INR 119.60